We are the ʔaq̓am Community, of Ktunaxa people who have lived in our region for thousands of years.
ʔaq̓am is located just minutes outside the City of Cranbrook in the East Kootenay region of British Columbia. We have long existed in a close relationship with our land and surrounding area. For thousands of years we have enjoyed the natural bounty of the land, travelling seasonally throughout our Traditional Territory to follow vegetation and hunting cycles. We have obtained all our food, medicine and material for shelter and clothing from nature - hunting, fishing and gathering throughout our Territory, across the Rocky Mountains and on the Great Plains of both Canada and the United States. Our lands, a rich cultural heritage and a language so unique that it is not linked to any other in the world make the Ktunaxa people singular and distinctive.
The ʔaq̓am Community has been proactive in simultaneously preserving our culture and traditions, while establishing progressive and innovative business partnerships. We live together, learn together, play together, work together and grow together. We are the ʔaq̓amnik̓. We are community, first.
ʔaq̓am Community Enterprises will generate revenue and create economic opportunities through sound business practices and strategic relationships built upon a foundation of fairness and integrity.
• Generating sustainable wealth to support ʔaq̓am Community priorities
• Ongoing fostering and development of like-minded relationships and alliances
Demonstrating Ktunaxa stewardship principles by acting as leaders in responsible use of resources
• Creating pride, loyalty and empowerment within and outside of the Community through responsible and successful business and operational practices
For the ʔaq̓am Community to generate a sustainable and self-sufficient economy by optimizing community and partner resources in a manner consistent with qanikiȼi (values and principles).
• Create economic success for the Corporation and Community
• Forge relationships and alliances for ʔaq̓am
• Analyze, incubate, innovate and activate business opportunities that are profitable
• Develop, manage, and advocate training, entrepreneurship and employment opportunities
• Collaborate to advance community priorities
• Develop effective communication practices and services